Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Even the classes are about the food

I am doing a little background since folks have asked what I'm doing here in Italy. As many of you know, I'm working on a graduate degree in International Development at Tulane. I did my first semester completely distance based while living in VT. This summer I am spending 4 weeks in Italy, 2 weeks in Rwanda and 5 weeks in New Orleans taking classes. I feel like the order of things is sort of backwards for my taste. I start out in the safest, most delicious place, move to a place that is slightly less safe and full of malaria and end up in New Orleans in July and August where there is more crime than most developing countries and the weather will be hideous. For those of you who may not be familiar with NOLA, it will be like living in an oppressively hot swamp. 

So, back to Italy! The class I'm taking here right now is called Food Aid in Humanitarian Settings. It's the first class I've taken where I am learning something that feels like it will teach me applicable skills. The professor is incredibly smart but can also teach. My experience in academia thus far has been that the two are mutually exclusive, so I'm incredibly grateful to have a professor that is both bright and can teach well. 

We spend all day talking about food aid, how it's delivered, what it is, the logistics of delivering it, the policies and procedures of various regions, the development of agricultural technology, hunger periods, malnourishment vs. under nourishment  etc. Then we march to  our outdoor eating pavillion (as I've taken to calling it) and eat our faces off. The irony is not lost on me!

That being said, here is what we've eaten recently:

Pasta first at all meals. This one was a tomato sauce with tuna, olives and basil:



Then salad:


There was another course before this next picture but I got confused in my altered (food coma) state and forgot to photograph it. It was some kind of tender cabbage which was just lightly salted and cooked in oil. It was delicious and I'm not a girl who favors cabbage!


This is was a really delicious plate. They were little eggplant/bread balls covered with tomato sauce.


This is Domiano - one of our chefs - explaining what we were having for lunch and where it came from.


 This is the most insanely delicious, velvety custard with strawberries. Yum!!


And that was just one meal. It's insanity.


No comments:

Post a Comment